America Ferrera: We are still just fighting to be visible
America Ferrera: We are still just fighting to be visible
By Laura García and Beatriz de la Pava
She's the first - and only - Latina to win an Emmy for a leading role.
But she's also keenly aware that she's almost unique in carving out these achievements.
"While I enjoy an incredible career full of opportunity that I have fought hard for and worked hard for," she tells BBC 100 Women, "I know that the vast reality for Latinos in this industry is that it's as difficult today as it was 16 years ago, or even 22 years ago when I started out."
Latinos are the largest minority group in the US, making up about 20% of the population. But that hasn't translated into on-screen representation, Ferrera says.
"They are anomalies, these moments where Latinos get to shine. And of course we've had those moments, but I feel like we've all been waiting a really long time for the watershed", says Ferrera, who has been named one of the BBC's 100 Women for 2023.
"It's complicated to reconcile the almost fairy tale story of my journey with what I know is the reality for the vast majority of people like me."
BBC 100 Women names 100 inspiring and influential women around the world every year - America Ferrera is on the 2023 list

Comments
Post a Comment